Collaboratory Articles and Publications
- Bootstrapping to a Semantic Grid Jens Schwidder, Tara Talbott, James Myers, Proceedings of the Semantic Infrastructure for Grid Computing Applications Workshop (SIGAW), at IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGRID) 2005, May 9-12, 2005, Cardiff, UK
- Adapting the Electronic Laboratory Notebook for the Semantic Era Tara Talbott, Michael Peterson, Jens Schwidder, James D. Myers , Proceedings of the 2005 International Symposium on Collaborative Technologies and Systems (CTS 2005) , May 15-20, 2005, St. Louis, MO
- A Collaborative Informatics Infrastructure for Multi-scale ScienceJames D. Myers, Thomas C. Allison, Sandra Bittner, Brett Didier, Michael Frenklach, William H. Green, Jr., Yen-Ling Ho, John Hewson, Wendy Koegler, Carina Lansing, David Leahy, Michael Lee, Renata McCoy, Michael Minkoff, Sandeep Nijsure, Gregor von Laszewski, David Montoya, Carmen Pancerella, Reinhardt Pinzon, William Pitz, Larry A. Rahn, Branko Ruscic, Karen Schuchardt, Eric Stephan, Al Wagner, Theresa Windus, Christine Yang, Proceedings of the Challenges of Large Applications in Distributed Environments (CLADE) Workshop, June 7, 2004, Honolulu, HI, p 24-33.
- Multi-Scale Science:Supporting Emerging Practice with Semantically Derived Provenance, James D. Myers, Carmen Pancerella, Carina Lansing, Karen L. Schuchardt, and Bret Didier, Proceedings of the Semantic Web Technologies for Searching and Retrieving Scientific Data Workshop, Sanibel Island, FL, Oct 20, 2003
- Re-Integrating The Research Record, James D. Myers, Alan R. Chappell, Matthew Elder, Al Geist, Jens Schwidder, Computing in Science and Engineering, May/June 2003
- Collaborative Electronic Notebooks as Electronic Records:Design Issues for the Secure Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN), James D. Myers, Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium On Collaborative Technologies and Systems (CTS'03), January 19-24, 2003, Orlando, Florida
- Social Networks in the Virtual Science Laboratory, George Chin Jr.,James Myers, David Hoyt, Communications of the ACM, Volume 45 , Issue 8, August 2002
- A Web-based Data Architecture for Problem Solving Environments: Application of Distributed Authoring and Versioning to the Extensible Computational Chemistry Environment, K.L.Schuchardt, J.D.Myers, E.G.Stephan, Cluster Computing 5, 287-296, 2002
- Open Data Management Solutions for Problem Solving Environments: Application of Distributed Authoring and Versioning to the Extensible Computational Chemistry Environment (.pdf), Karen Schuchardt, James Myers, and Eric Stephan, Proceedings of the Tenth International IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC 10) August 7-9, 2001 San Francisco, California
- A Collaborative Electronic Notebook (.pdf), James Myers, Elena Mendoza, and Bonnie Hoopes, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (IMSA 2001) August 13-16, 2001 Honolulu, Hawaii (Read and Rank this paper on The Chemistry Preprint Server!)
- Participatory Workflow Analysis: Unveiling Scientific Research Processes with Scientists, George Chin, Karen Schuchardt, James Myers, and Debbie Gracio, Proceedings of the Participatory Design Conference 2000, Nov. 28- Dec.1, 2000, New York, NY
- Development and Use of a Virtual NMR Facility, Kelly A. Keating, James D. Myers, Jeffrey G. Pelton, Raymond A. Bair, David E. Wemmer, and Paul D. Ellis, Journal of Magnetic Resonance, vol. 143, pp172-183, 2000
- eResearch: the rise of scientific virtual facilities, James Myers, Proceedings of the 1999 Chemical Information Conference, Oct. 28-30, 1999, Annecy, France, ISBN: 1-873699-63-8.
- "Remote Research Using A Virtual Scientific Facility", Kelly A. Keating, National Science Foundation Preliminary Report, "Workshop on Improving Undergraduate Education in the Mathematical and Physical Sciences through the Use of Technology", NSF Grant No. MPS9909401, Section "What's Out There?", Reference Pages 21-22, July 20-22, 1999
- "Exploring Collaboratory Partnerships for Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Science Education Reform", Norman Chonacky and James D. Myers, Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Quarterly, vol. 17, number 4, September 1997
- Collaborative Suites For Experiment-Oriented Scientific Research,, Anne Schur, Kelly A. Keating, Deborah A. Payne, Tom Valdez, Kenneth R. Yates, James D. Myers, Interactions May/June volume v.3 1998
- "Collaboratories: Bringing National Laboratories into the Undegraduate Classroom and Laboratory via the Internet", Jim Myers, Norman Chonacky, Thom Dunning, and Eric Leber, Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Quarterly, vol. 17, number 3, March 1997
- "Collaboratories: Doing Science on the Internet", Richard T. Kouzes, James D. Myers. William A. Wulf, IEEE Computer August 1996
- IEEE Fifth Workshops on Enabling Technology: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET ICE '96), June 19-21, 1996, Stanford, California, USA.
- "The EMSL Collaborative Research Environment (CORE) - Collaboration via the World Wide Web" (presentation only)
- "Electronic Laboratory Notebooks for Collaborative Research"
- "The EMSL TeleViewer: A Collaborative Shared Computer Display"
- Whitepaper on Collaboratory in Environmental and Molecular Science (PNL-SA-23921)
- ACS Newsletter Report on PNL Collaboratory Workshop
- The Collaboratory Concept Tech Brief [Postscript (171 kB)] or webpage
- PNL Collaboratory Workshop Technology Demos: Mbone, VNS, Mosaic
- PNL Collaboratory Workshop Agenda
- PNL Collaboratory Workshop Attendee List
- Electronic Notebooks: An Interface Component for Semantic Records Systems James D. Myers, Michael Peterson, K Prasad Saripalli, Tara Talbott, 227th American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting, Anaheim, CA, March 28-April 1, 2004
- Adaptive Informatics Infrastructure for Multi-scale Chemical Science James D. Myers, Larry Rahn, David Leahy, Carmen Pancerella, Gregor von Laszewski, Branko Ruscic, William H. Green, Jr., 227th American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting, Anaheim, CA, March 28-April 1, 2004
- The Environmental Molecular Sciences Collaboratory: A National User Facility That Fits On Your Desk!, " Chemistry and the Internet 2000 ", September 23-26, 2000, Georgetown Univeristy, Washington, D.C.
A subset of these slides were given at the Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) 2000 Workshop on Lifecycle Support for Collaborative Science held Saturday, December 2, 2000, Philadelphia, PA.
- Down the Hall While Across the Country: Using Collaboratories to Form Distributed Research Teams, "Partners in Scientific Collaboration", a Workshop sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science(AAAS) Research Competitiveness Program, August 18-19, 1999, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- Down the Hall While Across the Country: Using Collaboratories to Form Distributed Research Teams, "Research in Domestic Preparedness: Ensuring Security, Protecting Infrastructure, and Preventing Violence", a Workshop sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science(AAAS) Research Competitiveness Program, March 14-16, 1999, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Remote Research using the EMSL Virtual NMR Facility, WebNet 98 world Conference of the WWW, Internet & Intranet, Nov. 7-12, 1998 Orlando, Fl.
- Collaborative Research Facilities in the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, Thirty-Sixth Hanford Symposium on Health and the Environment: Cell Signalling and Computational Science for Molecular Biology, Nov. 4-5, 1998, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Collaboratories: Building Electronic Scientific Communities, Chemical Sciences Roundtable Workshop: Impact of Advances in Computing and Communications Technologies on Chemical Science and Technology, November 2, 1998
- Remote Research Using the EMSL Virtual NMR Facility, NMR Technologies: Development and Applications for Drug Design and Characterization, Oct. 29-30, 1998, Baltimore MD
- Spring '97 Talk (American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Talk and Associated Western Universities (AWU) Distinguished Lectures)
- Down The Hall While Across the Country - March 1996
- September 1995 Collaboratory Talk (WWW/GIF format)
- PNL Collaboratory Presentation
- Psycho-social Issues of Collaboratories
- PNL Collaboratory Workshop Images
- SuperComputing 1998, PNNL Booth presentations and DOE2000 booth presentations, November 1998, Orlando, FL.
- EMSL's Electronic Laboratory Notebook, WebNet 98 world Conference of the WWW, Internet & Intranet, Nov. 7-12, 1998 Orlando, Fl.
- Session Directories for Setting up and Monitoring CORE2000/Habanero Conferences via Java, CORBA, and LDAP, WebNet 98 world Conference of the WWW, Internet & Intranet, Nov. 7-12, 1998 Orlando, Fl.
- ELN Presentation by Noel Nachtigal, 7th International Symposium on "Electronic Notebooks, Collaborative Computing, and Internets/Intranets in Science", September 7 - 11, 1998, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Electronic Notebook Technical Talk, EMSL Computer and Information Sciences invited talk, May 1998
- Electronic Notebooks (Collaboratories), Presentation to DOE Security Workshop 3, March 18-20, 1998 Reston, VA.
- ELN Status at Principal Investigators meeting, February 1998.
- ELN Demonstration to Vice President Al Gore, January 21, 1998, ORNL
- DOE2000 Feb. 26, 1997 Collaboration Management R&D Project Report - Debbie Payne
- DOE2000 Feb. 26, 1997 Electronic Notebook R&D Project Report - Jim Myers
- May 5, 1998 Collaborative Research Environment Application Programming Interface - Debbie Payne
Other Places of Interest
Electronic Notebook related
- CENSA, The Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association, a global industry association, focused on catalyzing markets and driving the state of the art for electronic record keeping, electronic notebooks, collaborative computing, and project support systems and technologies wherever they are used. PNNL is a member of this consortium.
- ViNE, a platform independent, web-based interface to powerful external tool control, experiment execution, and a data retieval, storage, and manipulation capabilities. The web-based interface combines the metaphor of a traditional lab book with the versatility of hypertest to create an extensible, interactive and collaborative environment capable of supporting emerging technologies such as data mining.
- CPSE - LDRD, The Collaborative Problem Solving Environment (CPSE) will focus on the development and integration of a problem-solving environment with collaborative technologies to support the modeling and simulation of complex scientific problems.
Other related links
- BSCW Shared Workspace System
- Distributed Computing Environment (OSF's DCE)
- Distributed Computing Experimental Environment Sociology Report, Sara Bly [PDF file, Adobe Acrobat 3.0 required (486K)]
- DT-5 Project
- International Multimedia Teleconferencing Consortium (IMTC)
- MBONE Information Web
- National Information Infrastructure (NII)
- NCSA's Habanero
- Yahoo's Interesting Device List
- The Upper Atmospheric Research Collaboratory Project
- Web Conferencing Resources & Examples
- Workshop on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises